Home » Judicial » Alpha Omega Robber Identified

POLICE have identified Khumbulani Mpofu as one of the armed robbers who pounced on Alpha Omega Dairy warehouse in Bulawayo in October and allegedly got away with $1 035 and mobile phones. Alpha Omega is owned by the First Family and produces a wide range of dairy products. Criminal Investigations Department spokesperson Detective Inspector Monalisa Mangena, said police wanted to interrogate Mpofu in connection with robbery cases involving a pistol, cash and a car all valued at $16 885.50.

“Circumstances are that the fugitive Mpofu, together with another committed the case of robbery at number 11 Greystone Way, Morningside and Alpha Omega Dairy, 14 Wallsand Road, Thorngrove in Bulawayo. The wanted person fled and he is implicated as the main perpetrator,” she said.

Police are appealing to anyone with information leading to the arrest of Mpofu to contact CID Homicide Bulawayo on (09) 71568, Detective Chief Insp Mwezi on 0712 506 954 or Detective Assistant Inspector Chibira on 0773 629 430 or 0712 309 992.

One of the two armed robbers who raided an Alpha Omega Dairy warehouse in Bulawayo and got away with $1,035 and mobile phones was sentenced to 22 years in jail in October.

Nicky Richardson (42), of Sauerstown suburb, was convicted on his own plea of guilty to two counts of armed robbery by regional magistrate Trynos Wutawashe.

Prosecutor Robin Mukura said prior to robbing the First Family’s warehouse, Richardson connived with Mpofu and descended on city businessman Tonderai Chingonzo’s house.

They masqueraded as detectives investigating a case involving the loss of the businessman’s firearm in 2010.

They stole the businessman’s pistol which they later used to rob Alpha Omega.

At Alpha Omega Dairy, Richardson and Mpofu pretended to be customers.

They approached an administrator, Angeline Hamadziripi and threatened her with a pistol before demanding cash.

They took $655 which was in the cashbox before they searched Hamadziripi’s handbag and stole $380 and cellphones.

They scaled a precast concrete wall surrounding the premises and escaped in a car which was parked outside.

Richardson was arrested on October 2 at a building situated along Fort Street and 12th Avenue after he was spotted by Chingonzo.

Source : The Herald