Home » Sports » Buffaloes Stun FC Platinum

BUFFALOES coach Luke Masomere yesterday made a somersault on his decision to quit the club and vowed to stay on after Admire Dzumbunu’s 80th minute spectacular strike gave the Mutare side a victory over a fighting FC Platinum in an exceptionally entertaining and well-attended Castle Lager Premiership soccer match at Sakubva yesterday.

The result took the financially troubled Mutare outfit’s unbeaten run to six matches in a row as the disgruntled Masomere rescinded on the decision he made late last week to quit the club.

Owing to mounting financial challenges facing domestic Premiership clubs and Buffaloes in this respect, Masomere announced on Friday last week that he would take the game against FC Platinum as his farewell match but somehow the gaffer had a change of heart and said he would carry on, though he is not happy at all.

“I don’t think I will continue talking about that. As of now I will carry on with my duties and hope that the situation will improve for the better in the near future. Yes, I am disgruntled and I think I will just carry on for the love of the project and the game as well,” said the outspoken gaffer.

Instead, the former Shabanie Mine mentor was full of praise for his charges who are now second on the log.

“We played as a unit and I am happy that the players are responding very well to my instructions and style of play. They did a good job and I really want to applaud them for that given the conditions that they are being subjected to,” added Masomere.

From the onset, both teams exchanged raids and created numerous scoring opportunities but they both failed to find the cutting edge in front of goal. The visitors will probably look back and feel hard done by Harare referee Darlington Shonhiwa for waving play on instead of pointing to the penalty spot when dreadlocked jittery defender Simon Choenda, under challenge from Donald Ngoma, seemingly handled in the box in the 27th minute.

Buffaloes could have surged ahead in the 37th minute when man-of-the-match Moses Gutu sent exciting Frankson Bushiri through and the latter did well to dribble past a cluster of FC Platinum defenders but his shot went wide of the target.

However, it was only 10 minutes from regulation time when second half substitute Dzumbunu curled a beauty off a dead ball situation just outside the box to give the hosts the well deserved three points.

FC Platinum coach Lloyd Mutasa, who had a torrid time to wade off his protesting players and backroom staff from the referee soon after the final whistle, was a bit down.

“It’s a pity . . . I can only say I lost the game. I think I will not complain over things that I do not have control over,” said Mutasa. For Buffaloes, yesterday’s victory did not only leave them with a six-match unbeaten run but also marked the sixth match without goalkeeper Blessing Mandimutsira conceding a goal.

After the season’s opener at the Colliery against Hwange in which they suffered their heaviest defeat since their return to the top-flight league, Buffaloes beat Chicken Inn 2-0 at Sakubva before settling for a goalless stalemate against CAPS United at Gwanzura.

The Mutare side went to draw against team-of-the-moment ZPC Kariba before outsmarting basement outfit Harare City 1-0 and defending champions Dynamos by an identical scoreline away in Harare in both matches.


Buffaloes: B. Mandimutsira, S. Choenda, M. Gutu, P. Chandisaita,P. Matizanadzo, T. Mombeshora, F. Bushiri, P. Thembani, (L. Katongomara, 70th minute), J. Muzokomba, R. Mwenga, M. Fenyeka (A. Dzumbunu, 66th minute):

FC Platinum: P. Mhari, Q. Amin, T. Kamusoko, S. Shoko, D. Veremu, M. Mudehwe, J. Marufu, N. Ncube (S. Sibanda, 55th minute), A. Gahadzikwa, M. Katsvairo (W. Mutasa, 60th minute), D. Ngoma..

Source : The Herald