Home » Sports » Caps United Lose At Home to Chapungu United, Highlanders Coach On the Brink After Defeat

AIRFORCE side Chapungu United stormed into the top four after overcoming troubled Harare giants 2-0 in a Castle Lager Premiership match played at the National Sports Stadium on Sunday.

The defeat was Caps United’s third of the season with one of the defeats coming from a walkover by How Mine.

Goals by Tineit Chitora (20 min) and Gift Phiri (73rd) ensured Chapungu won comfortably against their more illustrious opponents.

Chapungu now have 18 points from 10 matches while Caps United dropped to 10th position with the same number of points.

After the match, disgruntled Caps fans milled around the stadium baying for assistant coach Brenna Msiska’s blood accusing him of working with the executive to destroy the team. They were later dispersed by police.

Caps United have been unable to pay players’ salaries and allowances. The players looked committed on the field but wasted good chances in the first half with Gerald Phiri and Leonard Tsipa coming close on 16 and 19 minutes.

Despite their dominance, the Green Machine found themselves trailing Chapungu when Tinei Chitora slotted home on 20 minutes off a precise delivery from the left by Allan Tavarwisa.

Chapungu also had a good chance nine minutes later but midfielder Rodwel Mhlanga’s thunderous shot went just wide.

In the second half, Caps tried to claw back into the game with Tsipa missing a headed opportunity on 64 minutes. Two minutes later, defender Carlton Munzabwa also missed another headed opportunity from a free kick by Phiri.

However, in a swift counter attack, Gift Phiri doubled Chapungu’s lead, getting past defender Stephen Makatuka before firing a low ground shot that beat goalkeeper Chris Mverechena to sew up the contest.

Caps United coach Mark Harrison was disappointed with the result.

Impressive performance in Harare … Collen Kwaramba was part of the Chapungu squad

“We didn’t turn up today,” he said.

“We were lazy, sluggish and slow in the first half. I warned the guys before not to underestimate Chapungu.

“I had a few words with them again at half time and there was an improvement in the second half. We had two or three chances but we couldn’t finish.

“We gave away two silly goals. We were just poor all round but the commitment from the players was fantastic. We cannot keep on looking for excuses.

“We just hope things will improve at Caps United. We will regroup on Tuesday and try to work on our finishing.”

Chapungu coach John Nyikadzino was naturally happy.

“I am happy with the result. I want to thank the team management and our sponsors for showing their confidence in me. I told the players before that Caps United might be experiencing in-house problems but they are one of the toughest teams in the league with just one defeat.

“I told them they were level with Triangle and Chicken Inn with just one defeat because against How Mine it was a walkover,” said Nyikadzino.

Mafu on the brink as Highlanders lose to Chicken Inn

Chicken Inn 2-1 Highlanders

Putting Highlanders to the sword … Chicken Inn players savour victory

CHICKENN Inn piled more pressure on Bongani Mafu when they beat Highlanders at Barbourfields Stadium on Saturday in a Castle Premier Soccer League match.

Mafu could face the axe early next month when club boss Peter Dube returns from South Africa where he is head of delegation for the Warriors team taking part in the 2015 Cosafa Cup.

On Saturday, Canaan Nkomo thrust Chicken Inn into the lead after six minutes before Simon Munawa levelled the scores after 36 minutes setting the stage for an intriguing second half.

But that half was settled by Edmore Chirambadare who scored the winner for the Gamecocks after 65 minutes.

Chicken Inn now have 23 points after seven wins, a loss and two draws while Highlanders dropped to eight with four wins, four losses and two draws and 14 points.

In other games, Harare City and Hwange drew 1-1 with Honey Chimutimunzeve scoring for the hosts while Newman Sianchali scored deep in injury time for the coalminers.

Flame Lily picked up their second win of the season when they dismissed Buffaloes 2-0 at Larfarge Stadium in Harare.

ZPC Kariba, under caretaker coach Oliver Matava finally got three points as they edged Whahwa 2-1 at Ascot Stadium on Saturday.

On Friday, Tsholotsho had the chance to pick up three points when Ocient Ncube missed a penalty after nine minutes of play against Dongo Sawmill at White City Stadium in Bulawayo.

Ncube was on hand to give the hosts the lead in the 39th but Tsholotsho could not hold on conceding in the 71st minute to a Stephen Elias strike for a share of the spoils as the match ended 1-1.

Source : New Zimbabwe