Home » Sports » Chicken Inn Back to Winning Ways

THREE goals in the first half were enough to ensure Chicken Inn maintained pole position in the Castle Lager Premier Soccer league when they beat visiting Buffaloes at Luveve yesterday.

The GameCocks got their goals from Clemence Matawu in the eighth minute, Tafadzwa Kutinyu in the 37th minute and a penalty by Edmore Chirambadare in the 40th minute.

Buffaloes coach Joseph Takaringofa blamed the officiating for his side’s poor performance, saying they deserved to get a penalty in the 27th minute.

Chicken Inn’s Ben Nyahunzvi brought down Lloyd Katongomara inside the box but referee Mlindeni Ndebele who was behind the action adjudged that the Buffaloes midfielder had been brought down outside the box and awarded a freekick.

“I just wish the referees were consistent with the way they handle matches. I am not impressed honestly. It was the turning point and on our side he awarded a penalty that was not clear,” he said.

Chicken Inn’s Joey Antipas said: “I thought we had a very good first half. Our tempo was quick but I thought we should have had an avalanche of goals and in the second half we took our foot off the pedal and we gave them a bit of room and space,” Antipas said.

Antipas said they are not looking at winning the title as it was still a long way to go.

Meanwhile, Dongo Sawmill players and visiting fans celebrated like they had won the World Cup yesterday after recording their first ever Premier Soccer League win, edging Flame Lily 2-1 at Lafarge.

Blessing Dzumbunu and Kudzai Chideu’s goals in either half handed the Rusape side victory while McMillan Chigora was on target for Flame Lily.

With wild celebrations ensuing at the final whistle, Shadreck Mugurasave’s Dongo however remain at the foot of the log standings with seven points in 12 games.

“I am delighted we finally managed to win,” Mugurasave said.

A rather drab first half was put to life a minute before the break when Dzumbunu shot past Prosper Chigumba after the Flame Lily goalkeeper had parried Madhazi Madhazi’s shot.

Seconds later, Chigora beat the half-time whistle to equalise for the hosts.

But Dongo reclaimed the lead six minutes after the restart through Chideu’s headed goal before parking the bus amid Flame Lily’s serious probing.

Source : Zimbabwe Standard