Home » Judicial » CIO Murderers Jailed 14 Years

Two soldiers will spend 14 years in jail for killing a member of the Central Intelligence Organisation over taxi fare in Glen Norah two years ago. Brown Mwale (40) who worked in the CIO’s counter intelligence branch and based in Harare was killed after hiring a taxi at a nightclub in Glen Norah on April 17 2012.

The two soldiers Blessing Nyakwima (29) and Nkazimulo Nkomo (29) who were based at Inkomo Barracks were jointly charged with Vitalis Nyakwima (31) a taxi driver and another man Damascus Tafa (28).

They denied murdering Mwale when their trial began early this year before High Court judge Justice Ester Muremba sitting with assessors Mr Campion Gonzo and Mr Sibert Shenje.

Blessing, Nkomo and Tafa were found guilty of murder with constructive intent and slapped with a 14-year jail term each. The fourth man Vitalis was acquitted after the prosecution failed to prove a solid case against him.

In sentencing the trio, Justice Muremba noted that they committed the offence under the influence of alcohol. She, however, said murder is treated as a serious crime which calls for custodial sentence.

“Life was needlessly lost in circumstances which did not call for the accused to react in the manner they did,” said Justice Muremba. “No amount of punishment can restore the life lost. The two accused persons (Blessing and Nkomo) as soldiers are expected to be highly disciplined in the society.”

The four had denied ever attacking Mwale on the day in question claiming that they were being used as scapegoats arguing that there was no nexus between them and the death of Mwale.

Charges against the four arose on April 17 2012 around 11pm, when Mwale was drinking beer with three friends, Thulani Gumbo, Amos Mukwena and Mavhuto Basikoro at a night club in Glen Norah when they decided to go home.

They hired a taxi, which was being driven by Vitalis, and were charged US$5 to Waterfalls. It is alleged that Vitalis drove for about 10 metres from the night club and stopped the vehicle demanding payment up-front and a misunderstanding ensued.

Vitalis called for back-up and invited his brother Blessing together with their friends, Nkomo and Tafa. The four ganged up against Mwale whom they punched and kicked ordering them out of the vehicle.

Gumbo, Mukwena and Bhasikoro managed to flee from the scene leaving Mwale who was heavily drunk at the mercy of his assailants. The Nyakwima brothers, Nkomo and Tafa briefly fled the scene when they spotted police on bicycles patrolling the area.

Mwale’s friends later returned and while they were walking home along Sebakwe Road the gang re-emerged and once again started attacking the hapless Mwale as his friends took to their heels once more.

The gang bundled Mwale into the taxi and drove along High Glen Road and Mwale’s body was later discovered dumped near a place commonly known as “Mbudzi”. Mr Norman Mugiya acted for the four while law officer Mr Albert Masamha appeared for the State.

Source : The Herald