Home » Business » Company to Commence Kamativi Open Pit Project

London Stock Exchange-listed commodity firm, Premier African Minerals has completed the open pit mine design for its Kamativi tungsten project paving way for the mining concern to start developing the project. An implementation study on open pit has already been completed while metallurgical test programme was completed in September this year. The mining company has also completed process plant design with tailings storage facility scheduled for January 2015

Premier Africa chief executive Mr George Roach said the company was now at an aanced stage to start the project.

He said underground channel sampling started this month while permitting Metallurgical test work was completed by Peacocke and Simpson

“Ground water development is underway while underground mine rehabilitation is in full throttle. We have placed an order on the plant.

“Road construction, earthworks and civil are ongoing,” said Mr Roache.

“One thousand kilogramme bulk ore sample from historic underground workings and 2 000kg bulk ore sample from historic tailings have been recorded.”

He said confirmatory assays and GAT test work was done by SGS, Johannesburg and the test flow sheet includes crush, screen, jig, spiral and tabling.

Mr Roache said the mine would require 450 kilowatts while an additional generator and grid line upgrade for the second phase is required.

Premier African Minerals Limited is a multi-commodity exploration and development company focused in Southern and West Africa.

The group has a diverse portfolio of multi-commodity projects which includes tungsten, rare earth elements, gold, lithium, tantalum and uranium in Zimbabwe and Togo, which span from brownfield projects with near-term production potential to grass-roots exploration

The development of the tungsten project in Zimbabwe moved a step forward last year when the firm inked a non-binding memorandum of understanding with an industry off-take partner to supply tungsten from the site, which lies in the Kamativi Tin Belt

Premier African Minerals has a 49 percent interest in the Kamativi project while the Government of Zimbabwe the remaining 51 percent.

Mr Roache said Blonton Consultants has commenced detail design for the project while the World tungsten demand is growing at an annual rate of approximately 4-5 percent.

World supply declined from 90 800 metric tonnes in 2006 to 72 000 tonnes in 2013. A strategic metal that is essential in such applications as steel tools and cutting blades, defence applications, alloys, lighting and electronics, tungsten is a natural resource with long term upside potential.

Tungsten is one of few metals to have withstood the recent metals bear market China produces approximately 85 percent of world tungsten supply but has greatly restricted tungsten exports to keep pace with its own industrial demand.

Source : The Herald

Archives