Home » Sports » Dembare Shut Down Mine

A second half fluke goal by Walter Mukanga was enough for defending Castle Lager Premier Soccer League champions Dynamos to collect maximum points at Barbourfields yesterday in their first visit to Bulawayo this season. The impressive midfielder got his second goal of the season for DeMbare nine minutes into the second half when he poked the ball past How Mine goalkeeper Munyaradzi Diya during a goalmouth melee to send thousands of Dynamos fans into song and dance at Barbourfields.

Former Highlanders winger Masimba Mambare was the architect of the solitary goal at Bulawayo’s ceremonial home of soccer when he won the ball just after the centre line.

Mambare threaded a pass to Dominic Chungwa on the right whose cross into the box which How Mine defenders failed to clear and while challenging for the ball, Mukanga fell to the ground and by chance the ball fell to his feet and he poked it home.

“It wasn’t an easy match because we played a good team. It was difficult but I’m happy that we won the game without some of our players either on national duty or injured. Of course, we are not scoring many goals but we managed to create chances,” said Dynamos coach David Mandi- gora.

The Harare giants were the first to settle, forcing four corners in the first quarter. Mambare, playing his first match at Barbourfields since moving to Dynamos at the beginning of last season, was a thorn in the flesh for How Mine and was unlucky in the 11th minute when his perfect cross into the box caught strikers Chungwa and Kelvin Bulaji flat-footed.

With How Mine forced to defend deep, DeMbare could have punished them through Ocean Mushure whose corner was headed away at the goal-line by Thembani Masuku.

The goldminers could have felt robbed in the 25th minute when Mushure handled in the box as he tried to head away Morris Kadzola cross but referee Jimmy Makwanya and first assistant referee Tione Kacheche who were close to action let play con- tinue.

Six minutes later, How Mine had their first real scoring opportunity falling to veteran Menard Mupera who came face-to-face with Dynamos’ goalie Tatenda Mukuruva after being sent through by Godfrey Nguwodzawo but headed straight at the goalkeeper.

It was a brilliant save from the Young Warriors’ goalkeeper.

Minutes later, Mukuruva rose high to tip the ball that was intended for Limited Chikafa on the blind side and in the process kept the visitors in the game. Dynamos were doing all the basics right, building from the back where they have captain Augustine Mbara partnering Sydney Linyama in central defence while Mushure and Blessing Moyo played as wing- backs.

Luke Masomere, How Mine’s coach, conceded defeat. “We lost to a better side. We were not very much involved in terms of attack and we paid dearly for that,” said Masomere.


How Mine: Munyaradzi Diya, Morris Kadzola, Moses Gutu, Tapiwa Khumbuyani, Nelson Tachi, Devon Chafa (Kuda Musharu, 65th minute), Menard Mupera, Thembani Masuku (Charles Sibanda, 75th minute), Timothy January, Limited Chikafa, Godfrey Nguwodzawo (Benjamin Marere, 65th minute)

Dynamos: Tatenda Mukuruva, Blessing Moyo, Ocean Mushure, Sydney Limyama, Augustine Mbara, Milton Makopa, Walter Mukanga, Masimba Mambare, Oscar Machapa, Kelvin Bulaji (Farai Mupasiri, 90th minute), Dominic Chungwa (Patrick Khumbula, 87th minute)

Source : The Herald