Home » General » Diya Leads Bosso Rout

HIGHLANDERS’ ‘keeper Munya Diya was the unlikely goal-scoring hero with a brace, from the penalty spot, as Bosso put the smiles back on the faces of their fans with a convincing win over visiting Shabanie Mine in a Castle Lager Premiership tie at Barbourfields yesterday.

Diya thrust Bosso ahead in the eighth and struck again in the 42nd minute.

Knox Mutizwa scored Bosso’s third with Milton Ncube scoring a gem in the fourth minute of time added on.

The visitors pulled one through Louis Matawu in the 63rd minute.

Highlanders were coming from a frustrating goalless draw against Chapungu in their opening match of the season.

Without fielding a natural striker in attack and, instead, opting to partner left footed forwards Milton Ncube and Charles Sibanda, Highlanders did not inspire much confidence as they walked onto the pitch for their first home league match.

That the bulk of their goals came from Diya yesterday was, therefore, not surprising.

Diya pushed them into the lead in the eighth minute after Shabanie centreback Smart Muchabaiwa handled a Milton Ncube cross in the box and referee Bekezela Makeka pointed to the spot.

The Highlanders goalkeeper sent his opposite number Victor Twaliki the wrong way.

After Twaliki had been called into action, on numerous occasions, but he could do nothing from the spot after Makeka adjudged that Milton had been brought down by Hardlife Mavundi.

Diya made no mistake from the spot.

Highlanders had a dominant first half performance with Maphosa and Eric Mudzingwa in imperious form in defensive link roles with Mutizwa and Kudakwashe Mahachi terrorising the visiting team’s rearguard and midfield.

Shabanie rarely troubled Highlanders in the first half except for the two penalty kicks, Diya had a boring first 45 minutes.

The offensive Highlanders could feel they were denied a third penalty after Mavundi clutched the goal, in a manner some goalkeepers would have been proud of, in the 51st minute after some roasting by Mutizwa.

However, Makeka felt it was not intentional handling and allowed the game to flow.

In a swift counter attack on the left Milton ran with the ball for about 30m before sending a pin point cross to the far post which was met with chilling accuracy by Mutizwa who made it 3-0 in the 58th minute.

Stocky Shabanie striker Allan Tavarwisa used his body to subdue Mudzingwa and laid a beauty that was struck first time to Diya’s left and the ‘keeper dived full length and parried the scorcher into his own net.

Ncube then made up for his first half misses by finding the target with a firm harder on the blind side.

“It was a good outing for us, the goals were illusive in the opening game and pre-season friendlies, we hope to build from here,” said caretaker coach Mark Mathe.

“We lacked concentration in the second half and we failed to press and our recovery was bad,” said Mathe.

Shabanie Mine gaffer John Phiri said they were outplayed by Bosso.

“We were outplayed, but the first two goals were give away penalties. I told my boys at half time that they had nothing to lose so they upped their tempo in the second half,” said Phiri.


Highlanders M. Diya, S. Munawa, B. Kangwa, I. Mapuranga, D. Ndlovu, M. Maphosa, E. Mudzingwa, K. Mutizwa (R. Kutsanzira 59th min), M. Ncube, K. Mahachi, C. Sibanda (G. Nyoni 59th min, (W. Ndiweni 76th min)

Shabanie Mine: V. Twaliki, N. Melson, S. Muchabaiwa, R. Mware, G. Murwira, H. Mavundi, Z. Bizeki (X. Ncube 27th mine), L. Matawu, T. Mthombeni (D. Chakupe 83rd min), A. Tavarwisa, C. Mesi (A. Mukwenja 67th min)

Officials: Bekezela Makeka, Tione Kacheche, Salani Ncube

Estimated attendance 6,000

Highlanders . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (2) 4

Shabanie Mine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1

Source : The Herald