Home » Sports » Fireworks Expected in Bob 91 Tourney

FIREWORKS are expected at various venues set to host the Bob 91 basketball tournament this weekend with more than 80 senior and junior teams scheduled to participate. This will be the third edition of the tournament which started in 2013 as Bob 89. The tournament has been running since with clubs and schools drawn from the country’s 10 provinces competing in the men and women’s sections.

The tournament is scheduled to run from this Friday to Sunday with the City Sports Centre being the main venue of the competition. Other venues to be used include Belvedere Technical Teachers College, which will host clubs, while Prince Edward, Girls High and Queen Elizabeth will host schools.

At least 100 teams — 40 clubs and 60 schools — are expected to compete in this year’s event. Last year over 50 teams took part in the tournament.

For the senior men and women, the teams will be divided into four pools with the top two teams progressing to the quarter-finals.

For schools, the teams will be grouped into eight pools and the winners in each group will proceed to the quarter-finals.

The tournament is held in celebration of President Mugabe’s birthday and this year the organisers have said they will also be celebrating his election as Africa Union and SADC chairperson.

Last year the tournament was graced by Matero Magic, a club from Zambia, and this year there will be three Zambian teams including Shells and YMCA from Zambia.

Chairman for Bob 91 tournament, Tendai “T-Buns” Zhakata said they are making final touches to their preparations. The Zambian teams are expected in the country tomorrow.

“The Zambian teams are coming on Friday. City Sports and Belvedere Teachers College will host the senior teams while schools will be at Prince Edward, Girls High and Queen Elizabeth.

“It’s running for three days from this Friday to Sunday. However, for the Zambian teams their matches will start on Saturday since they are arriving on Friday. Last year we had Matero Magic but this year it’s going to be three teams from that side — two men’s sides and one women’s team. “We’ve got also teams from Botswana and Lesotho, who have shown interest but they are yet to confirm. We are looking at about 40 clubs, and 60 schools have confirmed their participation.

“I think we will be able to finish the tournament in three days. We have enough courts and at national level we have enough referees who can officiate at the tournament. They will be drawn from all 10 provinces,” said Zhakata.

Cameo and Lakers are the defending champions in the men’s and women’s categories. In the schools competition, Prince Edward and Harare’s Girls High School are the title holders and they will be out to defend their titles when the tournament starts on Friday. Zhakata said they are anticipating a competitive and exciting event from both clubs and schools.

“This thing is for the President (Mugabe) and this year I think it’s going to be great because we are celebrating 91 years of a hero, Zimbabwe’s President, SADC chairperson and AU chairperson. So it’s worth celebrating. So competition is going to be high, people must come, it’s a family event and it’s going to be a day to remember,” said Zhakata.

However, Zhakata said they are yet to come up with specific prizes for participants as they are still negotiating with potential sponsors.

Source : The Herald

Archives