Home » Legal and Judicial Affairs » Girl, 10, Dies From Poison Laced Okra

A TSHOLOTSHO girl, 10, died leaving two siblings battling for their lives in hospital after the family ate a meal of sadza and okra suspected to have been laced with poison.

Police said they were called to attend to a dying Samantha Ndlovu from Chief Mahlathini area in Tsholotsho on April 25 this year.

The cops were summoned by the children’s grandmother, Belinda Mhlanga, 56, who is said to have prepared the deadly supper.

Samantha’s body has since been taken to Bulawayo for a post-mortem.

Police said they suspect foul.

The grandmother was not affected despite allegedly also sharing the same dinner.

“We are investigating a case in which a family retired to bed after eating supper with okra as relish on April 25.

“At about 10PM the same night, three children started complaining of stomach pain and one of died after her condition deteriorated before she could be taken to hospital,” said Acting Matabeleland North ZRP spokesperson Assistant Inspector Mandlenkosi Ndlovu.

The other two children, Tholiwe Ncube and Reyland Sibanda, 7, were later transferred from Tsholotsho District Hospital and are admitted to Mpilo Central Hospital in Bulawayo for suspected food poisoning.

Police are investigating the suspected food poisoning case.

“Mhlanga rushed to make a report to the police when she noticed her grandchildren were suffering from sudden stomach pain,” the police spokesperson added.

Source : New Zimbabwe

Archives