Home » Health » Govt Calls for Calm At Chingiwzi

Government has condemned acts of violence against Tokwe-Mukosi flood victims at Chingwizi holding camp in Mwenezi and called on the police to speedily intervene and protect them. Local Government, Public Works and National Housing Minister Ignatius Chombo said at the weekend, violent elements were threatening some Chingwizi camp dwellers to stop them from moving to their new plots, frustrating efforts to decongest the holding camp.

Last month two people were arrested at Chingwizi after they attacked some families who had moved to permanent plots. The suspects were arrested after being tracked by the police dog section.

A total of 3 020 new plots were last month pegged for the flood victims at the Nuanetsi Ranch but less than 500 have so far been taken up.

However, speaking during a tour of the holding camp by 10 Cabinet ministers on Saturday, Minister Chombo said he was optimistic that the families would all soon move to their new plots.

Minister Chombo, who is the chairman of the Civil Protection Committee dealing with Tokwe-Mukosi, said Government wanted Chingwizi holding camp to be decongested to prevent disease outbreaks.

“People have been moving from the holding camp to new plots at a slow pace and we are, of course, concerned with violent elements. We have some people who are stopping others from moving to their new plots and we want that violence to be contained.

“People should not be intimidated and relevant law enforcement agents should take appropriate action and guarantee the security of people at the new plots,” he said.

Minister Chombo said the Ministry of Lands and Rural Resettlement would come up with a resettlement model that takes into account the wishes of the people at Chingwizi.

“There are a number of concerns that the families have been raising, such as that they want to be resettled next to their plots and not far away. The Ministry of Lands (of Rural Resettlement) will recommend to Government the appropriate model,” he said.

Finance and Economic Development minister Cde Patrick Chinamasa told the families they would be paid nearly US$9 million in compensation once the money is found.

Cde Chinamasa urged them to move to their new plots pending payment of their compensation.

“We will pay you your compensation as soon as it is practicable. We are looking for the money right now and you have my word that your compensation will be paid,” said Cde Chinamasa.

Health and Child Care Minister David Parirenyatwa told the camp dwellers to move to new plots saying the overcrowded conditions at Chingwizi were fertile ground for an outbreak of diseases.

Lands and Rural Resettlement Minister Dr Douglas Mombeshora said families should take up the new one-hectare plots while Government was pegging an additional three hectares to meet the four hectares they were demanding.

Some of the 3 000 victims of Tokwe-Mukosi floods have been resisting relocation demanding compensation for their homes and property destroyed following incessant rains in Chivi.

Government has already started building schools, clinics and drilled 20 boreholes at the new plots which stretch for 20km along the Mbizi railway line in the Nuanetsi Ranch.

Minister Chombo was accompanied on the tour by Information, Media and Broadcasting Services Minister Professor Jonathan Moyo, Agriculture, Mechanisation and Irrigation Development Minister Dr Joseph Made, Home Affairs Minister Kembo Mohadi, Minister of Energy and Power Development Dzikamai Mavhaire, Environment, Water and Climate Minister Saviour Kasukuwere, Masvingo provincial affairs minister Kudakwashe Bhasikiti and the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Information, Media and Broadcasting Services Mr George Charamba.

Source : The Herald

Archives