Home » Sports » How Mine Hold Chapungu

HOW Mine snatched their first point of the season after holding hosts Chapungu to a draw in an action-packed Castle Larger Premier Soccer League encounter at a packed Ascot yesterday.

Chapungu, who are still unbeaten this season, conceded their first goal of the season when they were punished for poor defending by visiting How Mine who utilised their chances.

The home side were also punished for wasting numerous chances in the first half but were lucky to share the spoils with the visitors, thanks to a late strike by second-half substitute Calisto Maheya who brought the seemingly desperate airmen into the game.

Chapungu took the lead in the first two minutes of the game through Gift Phiri after he got to the end of a Rodwell Mhlanga cross inside the box before beating How Mine goalkeeper Donovan Bernard.

How Mine replied through Thembani Masuku in the 49th minute when he pushed the ball into an empty net after receiving a cross from Edmore Muzanenhamo.

Chikurupati then took the lead in the 62nd minute after Kudakwashe Musharu’s flick header went over the outdrawn Chapungu goalkeeper following a long ball from the back.

Chapungu, however, fought back and equalised in the 78th minute when substitute Calisto Maheya capitalised on How Mine’s defensive errors and picked a loose ball before beating the How Mine goalkeeper from close range.

Things looked well for Chapungu in the first half when they dominated the entire half and went for the break leading by goal.

Chapungu coach John Nyikadzino blamed his defence for the goals conceded in the second half.

“I am devastated by the way we defended today. We made a lot of mistakes at the back and we were punished. We need to rectify such mistakes if we are to maintain our good form. Its unfortunate that we conceded our first goals of the season the way we did,”he said.

How Mine coach, Philani Ncube, said the draw had rekindled hope for his side.

“This point was important to us considering that we lost our first two matches of the season. We are quite happy with the result but we still need to work on our defence,” he said.

Meanwhile, How Mine’s Xolisani Moyo was arrested after the match after he had an altercation with a police officer prior to the match.

It is alleged that Moyo had a heated argument with the police resulting in him pulling off one of the officers’ cap.

Source : The Herald