Home » Sports » Kondwani Quits Boxing?

FORMER national super-bantamweight champion Misheck Kondwani says he is quitting boxing because he believes the current Zimbabwe National Boxing Control Board were sabotaging his career.

Kondwani, now 39 and in the twilight of his career, had been hoping to fight in Zambia for a World Professional Boxing Association inter-continental title on May 10.

But the ZNBC have turned down the ageing boxers’ application for a clearance on the basis that he had lost his last three fights and is likely to lose again.

The board feels that Kondwani needs to improve his record first by taking a crack for a local title.

On Wednesday, Kondwani and fellow boxer Tawanda Chigwida reported the ZNBC to the police at Harare Central after their application to fight in Zambia was rejected and the duo said they are now frustrated with the sport.

“Boxing is my livelihood and I do not know how the board wants me to feed for my family if they are denying me a chance to fight in Zambia.

“We do not have active promoters for bouts here in Zimbabwe and we will be happy to fight in foreign lands but our board is blocking these efforts.

“It would have been better if Paul Nenjarama and his board were helping to stage local fights, but we are not seeing that yet we are duly licensed with them,” said Kondwani.

The Mbare-based Kondwani said he is taking a break from for the square ring and could only consider making a comeback if they get more support from the board.

“We had been asked to fight in Zambia by the World Professional Boxing Federation and we made the necessary application for clearances but we are now hearing from the promoters in Zambia that our board has turned down the applications.

“This was an opportunity for me to fend for my family but our leadership is not supportive and that’s why we have enlisted the services of the police,” said Kondwani.

Kondwani and Chigwida spent part of the afternoon on Wednesday at Harare Central Police where they had a meeting with ZNBC vice-president Lorraine Muringi and Nenjarama in the presence of police officers.

Chigwida, who is also past his best, said he was going to seek a refund from the boxing board over the money he paid towards getting a licence for this year.

“The board should refund my money if they are not willing to give us clearances. The other time I wanted to go to Namibia and the same board denied me clearance,” said Chigwida.

However, it seems the two boxers’ frustrations are misplaced as boxing board secretary Gilbert Munetsi said the rules clearly state that a boxer cannot fight in an international bout if he had lost his last three consecutive fights.

Source : The Herald

Archives