Home » Sports » Mahachi Out of Big Tie

HIGHLANDERS midfielders Kuda Mahachi and midfielder Peter Moyo became the latest injury casualties after being ruled out of Sunday’s crunch African Cup of Nations qualifier between Zimbabwe and Tanzania at the National Sports Stadium following knocks sustained while turning up for Bosso in the Premiership.

But a ray of hope filtered into the Warriors camp yesterday following revelations that seasoned striker Edward Sadomba was on his way to camp after his Libyan club Al Ahly Benghazi secured a chartered flight for him in order to connect from the crisis torn North African country.

Mahachi, who had travelled to South Africa at the weekend, joined camp on Tuesday afternoon but could only watch the session from the sidelines owing to a knee injury he reportedly picked up while featuring for Bosso in a midweek league assignment last week.

The 20-year-old Mamelodi Sundowns-bound winger was, however, ruled out after team doctor Nick Munyonga ascertained the extent of his injury.

It is a similar story for Mahachi’s Bosso teammate Moyo, who will not be able to recover from the ankle injury he picked while turning out for Highlanders against Buffaloes at Sakubva last Sunday. Moyo lasted just 26 minutes before he was stretchered off and replaced with Welcome Ndiweni.

Although the duo arrived into camp carrying knocks, there had been hope that they could recover in time to resume full training ahead of the Warriors’ must win game against the Taifa Stars.

Warriors team manager Sharrif Mussa, however, announced that the pair was now out of contention for selection for Sunday’s game while the technical team was also closely monitoring the knocks on combative midfielder Danny Phiri and CAPS United wing back Hardlife Zvirekwi.

“When Mahachi came into camp, the doctors assessed him and noticed that his knee is still swollen and he won’t be able to recover in time for the game.

“Peter Moyo we knew about him once reports came from Sakubva that he had picked an ankle injury but the team doctor also needed to first have a look at him and it has been established that he, too, will need some time before he recovers and will therefore miss the game.

“Hardlife and Danny sat out training today because of knocks but they do not appear to be as serious as Mahachi and Rio and we will continue to monitor both players.

“Without doubt the midweek and weekend games which these guys played after our return from Tanzania contributed to some of the injuries but what can we do ,” Mussa said.

Mussa also expressed the Warriors’ gratitude to Al Ahly Benghazi for the efforts the Libyan outfit had been making to ensure Sadomba is available for his national team’s Nations Cup assignment. Sadomba has emerged as the leading striker at Benghazi in their quest for both the Libyan championship and Champions League glory scoring 16 goals on the domestic front and five in the continental competition.

The 30-year-old speed merchant opened the scoring when his team edged Esperance of Tunisia 3-2 in a group stage encounter on Saturday night.

But when he returned to his club’s base in Libya, Sadomba encountered problems with travelling early for Warriors duty amid reports that the airport in Benghazi had been closed due to security reasons.

Mussa said the player’s club had made frantic efforts to ensure they get him on a private plane in order to fly out and fulfil his national team commitments.

“It has come to light that the airport in Benghazi has been closed for security reasons and Sadomba had to drive to another town to catch a private plane organised by the club which will take him to Tunisia and from there he will head to Cairo and then connect to Harare so we are expecting him to arrive tomorrow.

“The good thing is that while all these arrangements were being made, he has been training twice a day with his club.

“We would have loved to have him here early but the coach understands his predicament and appreciates the commitment he has shown to try and be here,” Mussa said.

The affable Warriors manager also made a passionate appeal to the fans to turn the giant stadium into a cauldron which the Taifa Stars would find intimidating.

“For sure the result we brought from Dar es Salaam added pressure on us but I think that was just a bad day and we cannot continue to have bad days and I hope the guys will get back to their best again.

“But my appeal to the nation is that come and light up that game and not to jeer the boys, we cannot afford to let Tanzania grab an away goal and we need everyone’s support for this game.

“I think even Tanzania know that we were just not at our best when they beat us and that the story will be different in Harare this time around,” Mussa said.

Source : The Herald

Archives