Home » Arts & Culture » Mawiwi Gets Double Jam for First Points

AFTER six losses on the trot, Bigboy Mawiwi finally guided Harare City to victory, but the dark clouds, which have hung over the team, will certainly not be dispersed by this single win.

Even in his moment of triumph, Mawiwi revealed that a group of thugs forced their way into their training ground on Wednesday and confiscated training balls in a bid to further destabilise the struggling Premiership team.

During pre-season, Harare City were touted as one of the title favourites but the Sunshine Boys lost their opening six league matches before winning yesterday’s encounter at Rufaro.

James Jam rose from the bench to score a brace as City came from behind to register a priceless win in this Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match.

Triangle took the lead in the 21st minute when Blessing Mawizisa connected a corner kick, flighted from the right, and the visitors could have increased the lead with more precision.

Substitute Jam, who came for Agrippa Murimba at half-time, evened the scores in the 51st minute before he scored a controversial goal in the 85th minute to seal victory for the hosts.

Triangle goalkeeper Edmund Chimhini was apparently elbowed and went down but referee Pedzisayi Chadya, somehow, allowed play to continue and Jam hit the back of the net.

Biggie Zuze and his troops protested against the goal and in the end the former Dynamos midfielder felt robbed by the match officials.

“The performance by the referee was pathetic if I tell you. You can see at some point that he protected the goalkeeper from a 50-50 situation,” said Zuze, whose team was unlucky to lose yesterday.

“But when the same things happened to us he allowed play to continue and the goalkeeper was being held and could not rise to make a save on the rebound.”

Last week, Triangle lost 5-1 to ZPC Kariba at Gibbo but this was a better performance from the Lowveld side.

“We do not have keep our heads down. I think we played good football and created chances in the first half and have to look to matches that are coming,” said Zuze. But it was Mawiwi, who badly needed the three points to save his job, who ended his team’s dismal run.

“It was one of the toughest matches in my career. We desperately needed the win and there were so many disturbances in the build-up,” said Mawiwi.

“Can you image that when we were training, some thugs just came and confiscated 14 footballs that we were using.

“And the next day, we did not even have footballs to use to prepare for a very big game like this. I thank God that we managed to win.” Mawiwi said there was plot to push him out of the technical team at Harare City and it’s understood that Luke Masomere was being angled to take over. “They were overzealous but it was happening just to disturb the team. The thugs came the next day and should have brought the footballs for the good of the team but they did not,” he said.

Mawiwi believes that the problems at Harare City are more to do with the internal politics at the club.

“The problems are also to do with things outside the field but I do not want to say much because it’s for the executive to comment on that.

“But I want to urge the supporters who have been behind us to continue doing that. It’s more for the team and the players than for me. These players are the ones who suffer a lot.

“What we need to do is to sit down and chart the way forward.

“We need unity of purpose and we can conquer,” said Mawiwi

On Monday, Harare City secretary-general Tarisayi Kwenda had written a letter to Mawiwi aising the coach that he had been fired.

In her letter, Kwenda said the executive noted that the coach had failed and was also giving false information to the media.

The dismissal letter also alleged that Mawiwi had been boycotting the team bus over the belief that it brought bad luck since it was also being used for funerals for the Harare City Workers Union.

Kwenda ordered Mawiwi to surrender all the team’s property in his possession by Tuesday this week.

The coach, however, survived the coup and reports suggested that Kwenda was then elbowed out of the leadership.

Source : The Herald