Home » Judicial » MDC-T MP Acquitted of Rape Charges

MDC-T MP for Binga North, Prince Dubeko Sibanda, who was facing accusations of drugging and raping a 17-year-old schoolgirl, has been found not guilty.

Acquitting the MP, Hwange regional magistrate, Dambudzo Malunga, said the State had failed to prove its case.

Sibanda, 42, of Mkhosana in Victoria Falls is also free from a second charge of obstructing the course of justice where he was being accused of allegedly bribing the girl’s father with $4,000 so he would not report the alleged rape.

The magistrate said the testimony of the girl, who was 17 years when the alleged rape occurred in November 2013, was not credible as she kept changing stories during trial.

“The complainant was not credible as a witness as she initially denied communicating with the accused but later changed after the production of the itemized bill in court,” said the magistrate.

The court also said the girl took time to report the alleged rape, which only came to light after her family discovered she had contracted an STI.

The who girl was doing Form Four at a private college when the alleged rape took place said she took time to report because she was scared of the court process.

She also admitted that Sibanda gave her $20 after the sexual intercourse and that she used the money to buy some goodies.

Her father, a close ally of Sibanda, told the court that the $4,000 the MP paid was not a bribe but was compensation to the family.

The girl’s father is an active member of the MDC-T and a former MP.

The State had sought to prove that Sibanda raped the girl on November 12, 2013 after he gave her lift.

Prosecutor Tawanda Sigauke said Sibanda drove along Kazungula Road and allegedly offered the girl a drink which she consumed but immediately became weak and dizzy.

The MP is alleged to have raped her once in the vehicle without using a condom and later begged her not to report the attack.

Sigauke alleged that Sibanda offered the teenager’s father $4,000 to cover up the crime.

The girl only reported the rape months later after being diagnosed with an STI, resulting in the arrest of Sibanda.

Source : New Zimbabwe