Home » Sports » Mutuma Downs Whawha

RODERICK MUTUMA once again justified the faith shown in him by his new club’s faithful when he stole the show with a first half brace that helped CAPS United come from behind and begin their Castle Lager Premiership campaign with victory at Ascot yesterday.

Mutuma, a darling of the Dynamos fans over the years, has turned green this year and the CAPS United family is enjoying having him in their camp.

Yesterday CAPS arrived at Ascot to face a potential banana skin posed by newboys WhaWha and the Green Machine found themselves trailing to a 15th minute penalty by Osca Lungu. But Mutuma, who has had a fine off-season for CAPS United, took his form into the Premiership when he fired a double to end the debutants’ hopes of starting life in the Premiership with at least a point.

“Chekera Pasi”, as WhaWha are affectionately known by their fans, won their penalty after Takudzwa Jukulile, who is son to their coach Luke Petros-Jukulile, had been hacked down by Malawian George Nyirenda in the box.

Petros-Jukulile together with his counterparts, who are attending a CAF C- Licence course in Kwekwe, watched the game from the terraces as he was not part of the Gweru-based side preparations for the whole week.

Although they were playing in the top-flight for the first time, the Zimbabwe Prisons and Correctional Services outfit matched their highly fancied opponents but somehow lost steam and allowed CAPS United to wrestle control the proceedings once Mutuma brought the visitors back in the game just before the breather.

CAPS United came close to scoring in the 38th minute when Moses Muchenje’s shot was blocked by goalkeeper Polite Sibanda. A minute later Godknows Mhangani failed to connect from outside the box after being set up by Mutuma.

Five minutes later Mutuma took matters into his own hands by taking aantage of some sloppy marking by the league debutants to head in a goal off a Hardlife Zvirekwi cross.

The lanky striker came back to haunt the prison wardens on the stroke of half-time when he gained possession outside the box before shrugging off the challenge of his marker.

Mutuma then charged towards goal before roasting another defender and placed the ball in the bottom left corner past a diving Sibanda. After the breather, the hosts technical aiser, Lloyd Mutasa, made some tactical changes bringing in Michael Mageja for Gift Saunyama and the move seemed to pay dividends as WhaWha began to win all the loose balls in midfield.

WhaWha also upped their attacking tempo at goal but missed a glut of chances with the club’s top marksman last season, Albert Matewu showing some instincts but failing to convert.

Matewu came close to restoring parity in the 71st minute but was a shade too late to connect to a Roy Useni cross which needed just a touch to beat CAPS goalkeeper Victor Twaliki. As the hosts took their feet off the pedal, CAPS United showed more hunger to claim the points. CAPS United coach Mark Harrison conceded that it was a tough match but was happy to collect maximum points. “Thumbs up to WhaWha because they played some good football. I expected a tough match because it is always dangerous to play teams which are promoted anywhere in the world, but I am happy with the three points, “Harrison said. His counterpart, Mutasa, blamed the loss on lapses of concentration by his players.

“We gave them two easy goals which boils down to two individual mistakes but obviously as a coach you would want to come out tops especially when you are playing at home,” Mutasa said.


WhaWha: Polite Sibanda, Roy Useni, Vimbai Madamombe, Jimmy Kanono, Marshal Machazani, Livingstone Genti, Oscar Lunga (S Zimora 72 min), Takudzwa Jukulile (T Muponda 61st min), Gift Saunyama (M Mageja 46th min), Albert Matewu, Musa Buke

CAPS United: Victor Twaliki, Hardlife Zvirekwi, Dominic Mukandi, Stephen Makatuka, Carlton Munzabwa, Godknows Mhangami (L Fiyado 70th min), Moses Muchenje, George Nyirenda, Takudzwa Muskwe, Rodrick Mutuma, Gerald Phiri

Source : The Herald