Home » Judicial » Nurse in Tsvangirai Hospital Escape Suspended

Trauma Centre and Hospital suspended senior nurse Sandra Hobwana (42) for assisting MDC-T leader Mr Morgan Tsvangirai sneak out of the institution without paying his bills on Wednesday morning.

The main opposition party, which initially claimed Mr Tsvangirai was not hospitalised, yesterday said the bill was US$4 350, substantially more than initially reported.

MDC-T admitted yesterday that Mr Tsvangirai left the hospital without paying the bill, but claimed the party boss had made arrangements to pay later.

However, it is unlikely that was the case because the hospital made a report at Avondale Police Station under docket number CR240, and suspended Hobwana for assisting Mr Tsvangirai to sneak out.

Tsvangirai, the former Prime Minister in the inclusive Government, had been charged under Section 117 of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act which criminalises making off without payment for goods or services.

Further, Mr Tsvangirai’s spokesperson Mr Luke Tamborinyoka yesterday went silent on his claims all week that his boss had not been hospitalised.

Sources at Trauma Centre said Hobwana, Intensive Care Unit manager, would appear before a disciplinary committee within 14 days.

“They are taking the case seriously and I do not see the nurse surviving the disciplinary hearing,” said the source.

“There is a belief she could have been bribed by Tsvangirai to assist him leave through an exit in the laundry area because he could not have known of it.

“This is also why the authorities reported the matter to the police, because no payment arrangement had been made.”

Hobwana joined Trauma Centre from the Avenues Clinic in 2013.

She is accused of helping Mr Tsvangirai escape via the laundry room, which is near the high-care unit where he was admitted.

Mr Tamborinyoka yesterday held a Press conference where he accused hospital staff and police of blowing the case out of context.

He also took a swipe at the media for taking an interest in the matter.

Mr Tamborinyoka claimed Mr Tsvangirai left the hospital at around 11am and the bill was paid an hour later in line with an “agreement”.

However, when The Herald visited the hospital at 2:30pm on Wednesday, the bill had not been paid.

MDC-T women’s assembly chair Mrs Theresa Makone only came with the payment later in the day after family members scraped together what was required.

The payment was only made some four hours after the police report, and party officials pleaded with Trauma Centre to withdraw the charges – which it duly did.

Source : The Herald