Home » Legal and Judicial Affairs » Petrol Vendor Fatally Burnt

A 30-year-old Mt Darwin woman was burnt to death on Monday after a 20-litre container with petrol she was keeping in her kitchen hut caught fire while she was cooking food on a paraffin stove. Mashonaland Central Assistant provincial police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Petros Masikati yesterday confirmed the incident.

He identified the woman as Regererai Kanyera of Madzengerere Business Centre under Chief Dotito.

“We received a report following the death of Kanyera a suspected petrol vendor who was burnt beyond recognition after a 20-litre petrol container she had kept in her kitchen hut caught fire while she was cooking,” he said.

On the day in question at around 10am, Kanyera went to Mt Darwin Business Centre and bought 20-litres of petrol which she intended to resale to her customers.

She returned home and kept the container inside her kitchen hut and the petrol suddenly caught fire, and she was trapped inside the hut.

A neighbour identified as Percenia Kakupu (22) heard Kanyera screaming for help prompting her to rush to the scene and investigate.

She tried to rescue Kanyera to no avail as the roof of the hut had collapsed on her.

Source : The Herald

Archives