Home » General » SADC Backs Sakala for AfDB Post

The Southern African Development Community has agreed on a strategy to assist its candidate, Zimbabwean Thomas Zondo Sakala (59), win the African Development Bank (AfDB) presidency in elections set for May.

The SADC Council of Ministers, which met in Harare last week, agreed to fully back Mr Sakala, who is also a former AfDB vice president.

A seasoned development banker, Mr Sakala resigned from his post last year to campaign for the presidency of the financial institution where he will tussle it out with seven other candidates.

SADC Council of Ministers chairperson Simbarashe Mumbengegwi told journalists that the ministers from the 15 member states reaffirmed their support for Sakala.

“The council decided to adopt a campaign strategy that will involve not only Zimbabwe but SADC member states and the strategy will see envoys being sent to engage stakeholders in Africa and beyond,” Minister Mumbengegwi said.

The SADC region holds 15 percent of Africa’s 60 percent of shareholding in the continental bank with co-operating partners holding the other 40 percent.

Voting for the post is on the basis of shareholding.

Minister Mumbengegwi said Mr Sakala was a g contender with very high chances of landing the post, thanks to the success that the continental bank scored in the last decade when Dr Donald Kaberuka was at the helm.

“During Dr Kaberuka’s term, Mr Sakala has been his deputy and not wanting to take away anything from Kaberuka, the success that he scored were also scored by Sakala because he was his right hand man. He was responsible for programmes and that is what the bank is responsible for,” he said.

Mr Sakala has worked for the continental bank for 31 years and was the vice president responsible for programmes under Dr Kaberuka, who steps down after two terms in charge.

Other candidates for the AfDB presidency are from Cape Verde, Chad, Ethiopia, Mali, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Tunisia.

New Ziana

Source : The Herald

Archives