Home » General » Sadomba Extends Deal With Libyan Side

WARRIORS forward Edward Sadomba is now set for an extended dance with the Libyan top-flight football after he prolonged his stay at that country’s champions Al Ahly Benghazi until the end of the year.

Sadomba sealed the deal at the weekend, which makes him eligible for the Champions League which resumes on July 27.

The 30-year-old Zimbabwe international had been a hit with Ahly Benghazi and by the time his initial contract expired at the start of last month, he had grabbed 15 league goals and, crucially, also led the North Africans’ quest for glory by firing them in to the Group stage of Africa’s biggest inter-club knockout competition.

But because his contract had expired, Sadomba missed Ahly Bengazi’s important Group B clash with Entente Setif of Algeria, which ended in a 1-1 draw in Setif.

That result ensured Setif remained without a win at their favourite 8 May 1945 Stadium but for Sadomba and Benghazi, who are debuting at this stage of the African Safari, the mission is to try and ensure the Libyans aance to the semi-final first before they can dream of lifting the Champions League trophy.

“I missed one game when I returned to Zimbabwe but I spent most of the time during this break with my family. Usually I do not take a complete rest . . . I always try to keep myself fit by training on my own.

“Our Champions League action will soon be resuming on July 27 and we just want to take every game sas it comes. We are going to fly to Tunisia tonight, (last night),” Sadomba said.

There were genuine fears within the Ahly Benghazi ranks, however, that Sadomba could have been snapped up by other teams amid indications that such clubs like Etoile Du Sahel of Tunisia, and teams from Qatar and Saudi Arabia are interested in the player.

Even his former club — Al Hilal — were reportedly still keen on luring Sadomba back to Khartoum while Egyptian giants and regular Champions League campaigners Al Ahly still retain considerable interest in the former Dynamos hitman.

But Sadomba, speaking from a training base in Egypt yesterday, said he had always given the Libyans first preference and had now settled his immediate future by extending his contract with Ahly Benghazi.

While Sadomba was sealing his stay at Benghazi, Highlanders leftback Khumbulani Banda edged closer to his first major move with a switch to South African Premiership side Maritzburg United being finalised.

Banda has been in South Africa together with his manager Edzai Kasinauyo, where the former Bantu Rovers and FC Platinum defender has impressed and was yesterday on the verge of tying up a deal.

“The deal is 90 percent done and we were just finalising on some finer details,” Kasinauyo said.

Banda has joined the pair of Milton Ncube, Kuda Mahachi and Peter Moyo who have left Bosso in the last few weeks to move to South Africa and, as in the case of Mahachi, en-route to Europe where there is now a g possibility he could be taken on board at French giants AS Monaco who travelled with him on their pre-season tour.

South Africa looks set to continue to be the immediate destination of many of the players plying their trade on the domestic front amid revelations that such clubs like Mamelodi Sundowns, who are touring Zimbabwe, have not stopped scouting for talent from the local Premiership despite currently having Khama Billiat, Esrom Nyandoro, Cuthbert Malajila and Nyasha Mushekwi on their books.

Dynamos defensive rock Partson Jaure also left for South Africa yesterday afternoon to try and secure a move to University of Pretoria where he could join countryman and goalkeeper Washington Arubi.

But it is Sadomba, who has already completed his extension at Al Ahly Benghazi, who is now certain about setting his sights on helping the Libyans target a maiden place in the Champions League final.

“I have signed with the club for another five months and I must say I am happy with the deal. It feels great to continue the mission we started in the Champions League campaign with the same club,” Sadomba said.

Sadomba briefly returned home to be with his family while awaiting negotiations but once a deal was struck, it was back to business as Ahly Benghazi, as they often do, took to Egypt to resume their preparations for the Champions League and domestic onslaught.

The Benghazi outfit will continue to use Tunisia as their base for their Champions League assignments because the Confederation of African Football has for long suspended the staging of games in Libya owing to the civil unrest in that country.

Source : The Herald

Archives