Home » Sports » Super Eight Tourney Launch Today

THE Castle Lager Premiership programme will take a break this week to pave way for the Super Eight tournament set to be launched in Harare today.

The Super Eight competition is set to come under a new title following the withdrawal of BancABC, who were sponsors of the tournament in the last few years.

Premier Soccer League chief executive Kenny Ndebele yesterday said last year’s top four finishers — Dynamos, Highlanders, Harare City and FC Platinum — will be seeded during the draw and will be paired with CAPS United, Chicken Inn, How Mine and Triangle who complete the cast.

The venues will be named at the launch.

“We are looking at playing a double header on Friday but everything then has to be aligned with the broadcast programme.

“The dates for the semis and the finals will also be made known in due course after agreeing with the sponsors,” said Ndebele.

Meanwhile, Ndebele has ordered the Chiredzi United executive to withdraw their court case against Moses Chunga.

The former Zimbabwe international, who is involved in a wrangle for the ownership of the club with Charles Muchatukwa’s executive, is expected to go in the dock this morning.

The dispute took an ugly twist when the members of the executive ordered the arrest of players Fidelis Mangezi and Brighton Pamhirwa in an effort to recover the club’s playing kits and player licences that were in the possession of Chunga.

Former club organising secretary George Dhliwayo said the players were being victimised for their support for Chunga.

“It’s baffling why the players were arrested. They know quite well that the items are with Chunga but they cannot communicate with him directly since they instituted a court interdict against him.

“The case is going before the courts tomorrow (today) and we wonder where the PSL are when football matters are being taken to the courts of law,” said Dhliwayo.

However, Ndebele yesterday said they have instructed Muchatukwa’s executive to withdraw the case.

“I think we brought this issue to finality on Saturday when we meet both Chunga and the people from Chiredzi.

“We reached a common ground and asked them to withdraw the case,” said Ndebele.

Source : The Herald

Archives