Home » Legal and Judicial Affairs » Teachers’ Union Boss Granted Bail

Teachers Union of Zimbabwe chief executive officer Manuel Nyawo and public relations officer Michael Kosana appeared in court yesterday for allegedly denying police access to financial documents linked to alleged misuse of US$563 623 in a housing project. Nyawo (43) is jointly charged with Kosana (44).

The pair appeared before Harare magistrate Mr Tendai Mahwe facing charges of defeating or obstruction of justice.

They were remanded on US$100 bail apiece and are expected back in court on April 15.

As part of their bail conditions, the pair were ordered not to visit TUZ offices, report twice a week at CID Serious Frauds Harare, and to reside at their given addresses pending finalisation of the matter.

Prosecutor Mr Tungamirai Chakurira alleged that in November last year, a TUZ Ushewokunze Housing Project committee member reported alleged fraud to the police.

The court heard that investigations revealed that Nyawo and Kosana were the overseers of the project and were in custody of financial records for the housing project.

It is alleged that efforts to recover the documents were fruitless as the pair refused to release them to the police.

On March 5, an application for a search warrant was granted and detectives proceeded to No. 184 Little Acre, Belvedere, where TUZ is located.

Detectives introduced themselves to the receptionist who told them that the accused were out of office.

It is alleged that Nyawo was informed on his mobile phone of the intention to seize documents on March 10.

On the said date detectives visited the office and Nyawo was nowhere to be seen, leading them to conclude that he was being evasive.

The police returned to the offices two days later and found the gate closed, but they knocked on it after realising that there were people inside the premises.

It is alleged that a general hand – Pauline Chiyangwa – approached the gate and turned away after being asked to open it, prompting the officers to climb into the premises.

The court heard that they found the main screen door locked and the receptionist went to the backyard.

Another employee, Phephile Malinga, told the detectives that she had strict instructions not to allow them into the office.

Source : The Herald