Home » Judicial » Three Brothers Kill Cousin in Beer Brawl

IN an incident which has shocked local villagers, a Gutu man and two siblings murdered their cousin in cold blood and disappeared, leaving another cousin battling for life following a beer brawl.

Police in Masvingo have since launched a man hunt for the trio of Bernard, 33, Richard, 28, and Rabson, 25, all from the Mapuchete family of Matonhodza Village, Chief Chikwanda.

They are wanted for allegedly ambushing Zvinowanda Mapuchete, 41, and his brother Edward, 38, before battering them with knobkerries and grass slashers.

Zvinowanda died on the spot while Edward was left battling for life after he managed to escape the attack.

Acting Masvingo Provincial Police Spokesperson Assistant Inspector Nkululeko Nduna said the fight began after Mapuchete and his brothers met their cousins at a traditional beer gathering in the same area.

As the relatives were downing the traditional brew, Mapuchete who was already drunk approached Edward accusing him of having assaulted him in an earlier scuffle, but Edward ignored the allegations and continued with his beer drink.

However, this did not go down well with Mapuchete who started assaulting Edward but was overpowered, prompting his two brothers to join in the fight.

Seeing his brother was being overpowered by the three, Zvinowanda intervened and stopped the fight, but not before the three brothers swore they would deal with him, accusing him of taking Bernard’s wife in 2007.

Zvinowanda and his brother then left the drinking place to go home. The Mapuchete brothers decided to ambush them along the way and armed themselves with knobkerries and grass slashers.

When Zvinowanda and his brother arrived at the ambush point, the three assailants allegedly emerged from the bush and started assaulting the brothers.

Zvinowanda collapsed to the ground the attackers were not dissuaded and continued to assault him until he died, leaving Edward fighting for his life.

Seeing that Zvinowanda was dead the three cousins fled the scene, leaving their weapons behind.

Asst. Inspector Nduna appealed to members of the public to help with information that could lead to the arrest of the suspects.

Edward is still admitted at Morgenster Mission Hospital where his condition was said to be stable.

Source : New Zimbabwe