Home » Governance » Violence Escalates in Epworth

A zanu-pf official escaped with injuries yesterday morning after a room he was sleeping in was petrol-bombed by suspected MDC-T supporters in Epworth early yesterday morning.This comes as the number of people arrested in connection with the political violence in Epworth rose to eight yesterday.

At least 16 Zanu-PF supporters in Epworth suffered multiple injuries on Sunday afternoon when they were brutally assaulted by MDC-T supporters attending a rally addressed by party leader Mr Morgan Tsvangirai.

National police spokesperson, Chief Superintendent Paul Nyathi, yesterday confirmed the bombing incident and the arrest of five more suspects as investigations continue.

Yesterday’s victim, the acting vice-secretary for Zanu-PF Domboramwari District, Cde Bishton Kucherana (38), was alone when the incident occurred at around 3.30am.

The suspects broke two window panes to his bedroom and threw the petrol bombs that burnt a Zanu-PF T-shirt and blankets.

It is reported that when Cde Kucherana tried to escape through the door, he had his face sprayed with a fire extinguisher by some of the suspects who had waylaid him.

A report has since been made to the police and investigations were in progress.

A neighbour, Mrs Maidei Nterera, said they were awakened by footsteps and noise.

“I heard the noise and heard some footsteps outside and went out to investigate. That is when I saw smoke and fire coming out of his room,” she said.

Mrs Nterera said they tried to locate Cde Kucherana, but failed since he had managed to escape after the suspects had fled the scene.

The landlord, Mr Jefferson Nterera, said he also reported the case to the police. Zanu-PF secretary for security in Epworth, Cde Wickus Boroma, said on Monday night some MDC-T youths were moving around the area singing and chanting slogans.

“I gly believe that there are some of the culprits who are now unleashing terror, targeting Zanu-PF supporters,” he said.

He said they had since beefed up security at their party offices as they believed that the suspects might target them at night.

Cde Kucherana was hospitalised last night as he was experiencing difficulties in breathing and walking.

Ten houses were damaged in the Sunday attacks.

The MDC-T supporters were armed with golf clubs, bricks and stones and indiscriminately attacked anyone they believed belonged to Zanu-PF regardless of age and gender.

In February this year MDC-T secretary-general Mr Tendai Biti’s Umwinsdale home in Harare was petrol-bombed by some unknown people as intra-party fighting escalated in the MDC-T. This was the second time such an attack was carried out on Mr Biti’s property.

The molotov cocktail struck a pillar on the gate, leaving it smoke-stained.

In June 2011, Mr Biti claimed his Chisipite house was also petrol-bombed.

In 2009, four police stations in Harare, Gweru, Mutare and Chitungwiza were bombed and several police officers suffered severe burns during the attacks.

Source : The Herald