Home » Governance » Workers Resist Mzembi Farm Take Over

OVER 200 farm workers have petitioned the Masvingo Zanu PF provincial leadership in a bid to stop tourism Minister Walter Mzembi from taking over Banquest Extension Farm.

Mzembi grabbed the flourishing hatchery farm owned by Hellen Mitchell last week and gave the owner three months to wind up activities.

NewZimbabwe.com understands that Mzembi is armed with an offer letter, dated February 20 2015, which entitles him to grab the 367 hectare farm.

Workers who are responsible for the production of 100 000 day-old chicks and 50 000 eggs per week, supplying poultry farmers in Masvingo and beyond, fear that they could lose their jobs if Mzembi takes over.

“We hope our letter will help us stay on our jobs most of us have worked here all our lives and our families have been surviving from this farm we can’t just watch powerful people making us jobless,” said one of the farm workers.

Mitchell confirmed that her workers had written to Zanu PF leadership in a bid to stop Mzembi from taking over.

“The workers are devastated at the moment they are doing what they think could save their jobs,” Mitchell said.

Efforts to get a comment from Masvingo provincial affairs Minister Shuvai Mahofa and Zanu PF provincial chairman Paradzai Chakona were fruitless as they were both said to be out of office.

Mzembi is not new to controversy in Masvingo. In 2013 he tried to grab Renco Mine, one of the biggest gold mines in the province, but his move was thwarted by the court which declared the grab illegal.

Source : New Zimbabwe

Archives