Home » Governance » Zanu-PF Harare Provincial Executive Faces Ouster

INSIDERS have warned that the Zanu PF Harare provincial executive could be living on borrowed times after its members expressed displeasure with the national leadership’s decision to back Terence Mukupe as party candidate for Harare East.

On Saturday, as factional wars escalated, vice president Emmerson Mnangagwa moved to back Terence Mukupe as the party candidate for Harare East ahead of Mavis Gumbo, who is preferred by the provincial leadership.

The provincial executive, led by Godwills Masimirembwa, over the weekend was busy lobbying politburo members to have the matter discussed at the Politburo meeting set for Wednesday.

Party spokesperson Simon Khaya Moyo confirmed the Wednesday meeting to Newzimbabwe.com.

Among those who are said to be unhappy with the decision to have Mukupe stand as the Zanu PF candidate for Harare East is secretary for Health Cleveria Chizema who has been requested to back the province at the meeting.

Asked to comment on their defeat as the province on the decision of who should be the candidate for Harare East, Masimirembwa could only say:

“This is something we did not expect. We thought the national leadership was going to listen to us as the province but alas. We do as obliged but we shall register our reservations,” he said.

Sources said this puts Masimirembwa and his colleagues on a collision course with Kasukuwere, the national political commissar who is Mukupe’s g ally and strategic backer.

“The province should be very clear and careful on how they trade with Kasukuwere. They are in acting capacity and they need to know that the province could be dissolved any time,” a Zanu PF member said.

Masimirembwa took over the chairmanship of Harare province from Amos Midzi who was ousted on allegations of working with former vice president Joice Mujuru last year.

He is still in acting capacity and will have to contest in the internal polls with either the current provincial political commissar Shadrek Mashayamombe or Jaison Passadi, the Mount Pleasant MP who lost the post to Midzi in 2013.

Before Mnangagwa as the acting president of the party and country made the decision on Mukupe, the Youth League in Harare led by Godwin Gomwe attacked Kasukuwere, accusing him of imposing his ally on them.

The youths accused Kasukuwere of building a political power base for his Generation 40 project.

But the Mt Darwin South MP denied the allegations, insisting Mukupe was the people’s choice.

“They should have campaigned for their candidate and not use dirty ways to have their preferred candidate stand as MP. In politics it’s about numbers and the people,” said Kasukuwere.

Source : New Zimbabwe

Archives