Home » Governance » Zanu-PF Youths Reject Harare East Candidate

AS the acrimonious factional fights in the ruling party threaten to boil over, Zanu PF youths in Harare have rejected one of the candidates for the Harare East by-election.

Zanu PF acting provincial Youth League chair in Harare Godwin Gomwe on Sunday said Terrence Mukupe, who was forced to approach the Electoral Court after the ruling party withdrew his candidature just before the nomination court sat last month, is a “mafikizolo”.

This was after Mukupe told Newzimbabwe.com that he was the official candidate in the June 10 by-elections, promising a thundering victory despite uncontrollable infighting within the party.

In an interview, Mukupe said he already had the constituency formerly held by Tendai Biti in the bag.

“It is a given fact that I will win the constituency. The people in Harare East know what they want and they made it clear during the primary elections that they want Mukupe. It’s unfortunate that some people want to derail the process unnecessarily,” he said.

But the party youths have come out guns blazing, dismissing Mukupe as a “nonentity”.

“Mukupe is the only candidate who claims to be Zanu PF and has never registered for voting since he turned 18. He only registered two weeks ago because it is a requirement by the nomination court.

“He is the only candidate who claims to know Zanu PF better than the 1st secretary (President Robert Mugabe), that he did not bother to put on his campaign posters Cde Mugabe’s face or the party’s logo,” Gomwe said.

Mukupe has been fighting hard to force himself to be accepted as the ruling party’s candidate ahead of former ZIFA Women’s football boss Mavis Gumbo. After winning the party’s primary elections, Mukupe has had his history in the ruling party questioned with warring factions engaged in a vicious tug of war for the control of the constituency.

Gomwe pointed a figure at party political commissar Saviour Kasukuwere whom he accused of trying to impose the “nonentity” (Mukupe).

“Mukupe is the only candidate rejected by the provincial election directorate but is surprisingly supported gly by Kasukuwere, the political commissar.

He is the only candidate to ever take the ruling party to court and has had the guts to blast left, right and center the party’s leadership including our two vice presidents (Emmerson Mnangagwa and Phelekezela Mphoko) and the secretary for administration (Ignatius Chombo), boasting he will only listen to Kasukuwere,” the youths said in the statement.

“Money should never be used to acquire party positions. We ousted Mujuru (Joice) because she thought money is everything in politics. This is the same route Mukupe wants to take and we say No!”

Mukupe is former CEO in the now defunct Allied Bank owned by Transport minister, Obert Mpofu.

On Friday morning, both (Mukupe and Gumbo) attended the party’s meeting for all Harare candidates and presented their plans for the by- elections.

In Harare, there will be six by-elections to replace rebel MDC-T MPs who ditched Morgan Tsvangiari to form the Renewal Team.

Source : New Zimbabwe

Archives