Home » Arts & Culture » ’Zim Got Talent’ Changes Name

Organisers of the “Zim Got Talent” show that was launched last year have changed their name after Ke Nako Media early this year popped up claiming to be the legitimate owners of the brand.

The talent search show was launched last year and saw 21- year-old Divine Chitubura walking away $3 000 richer after being crowned the winner.

In an interview with The Herald Entertainment yesterday, the organisers of the talent show, Chinese Federation of Zimbabwe deputy chairman Zivanai Zhau said to avoid confusion and conflicts they haddecided to rebrand.

“It seems people wanted the name ‘Zim Got Talent’ because one company just came claiming that they were registered under that name but we checked with the National Arts Council and found out the name was not registered by any company.

“But to avoid the noise and confusion we decided to change the name to Dream Star Zimbabwe,” he said. Zhau said the name is going to be launched on June 15.

“We are going to launch it by mid-June and after the launch we start the auditions for this year’s edition. This year we are going to go to almost every province in Zimbabwe searching for talent because our aim is to nurture Zimbabwean talent from the grassroots,” he said.

He also highlighted that after the auditions they will have the semi-finals to select the finalists that are set to tour China in September.

“We are going to have the semi- finals in August and at least 20 to 25 young stars from the finalists including last year’s top three are going for a cultural exchange in China.

“They will have at least three shows one in the capital Beijing, the other in Chengdu City which is the centre city of China and we are still working on the third city,” he said.

When the tug-of-war between the two organisations, Chinese Federation of Zimbabwe and Ke Nako Media started, the Chinese Federation maintained that their core business was to search for talent and nurture it. They even vowed to continue with the talent show saying the disoute over the name was just a minor problem which could be solved any time.

Ke Nako Media is yet to come up with their own show. The same organisation has also been embroiled in another name ownership wrangle over the name Parade for a monthly print magazine. They published a few editions of their version before apparently stopping operations a few months into the venture while the other party carried on.

Source : The Herald

Archives