Home » Sports » ZPC in Spirited Fightback

ZPC Kariba’s never-say-die attitude left some Hwange FC fans in tears as the visitors plucked a point from the jaws of defeat in an exciting Castle Lager Premier League match at the Colliery.

It all looked like the coalminers had done enough to bounce back from the 5-2 drubbing suffered at the hands of Triangle at Gibbo last weekend as they led 3-1 with only seven minutes left.

But Saul Chaminuka’s charges had other ideas as they switched on the lights in a power station which was in total darkness with two late goals.

Double scorer Raphael Manuvire gave “Kauya Katuruturu” a flicker of hope in the 83th minute when he converted from the penalty spot after referee Hardley Ndazi adjudged that Hwange defender Gerald Ndlovu had handled a goal-bound effort inside the box.

With three minutes left on the clock, Manuvire completed his brace with a scrambled goal after a goalmouth melee to leave the home fans in shock.

The coalminers had started the match brightly and could have grabbed an early goal had striker Alec Marime’s powerful header not missed the target by a few inches with goalkeeper Wilson Muchenje beaten.

The coalminers were not finished as they continued to turn on the screws on the visitors who looked jaded.

Chipangano’s pressure paid off in the 21st minute when central defender David Boriwondo rose high to power home a flashing header.

Four minutes later Hwange’s young midfielder Innocent Muchenekwa watched in disbelief as his rasping volley crashed against the upright before being cleared to safety by reliable defender Dennis Dauda.

Against the run of play, ZPC Kariba equalised in the 29th minute when Artwell Nyamiwa headed home a delicate cross by overlapping defender Stephen Sheshe.

Hwange started the last half knocking on the ZPC Kariba door with some relentless pressure and could have raced out of sight in the opening five minutes but blew away two good opportunities.

They did go ahead in the 54th minute when Tonisani Sibelo curled home a free-kick after Marime was tripped on the edge of the box.

Five minutes later another defender Munyaradzi Mungadze made it 3-1 with another well-taken free kick which eluded the wall and whistled past a diving Muchenje.

“My boys played well, especially after the big loss in Triangle, but I blame the referee for penalty he gave to ZPC Kariba which gave them hope,” said Hwange coach Nation Dube.

“I am not amused by this type of officiating.”

Saul Chaminuka was happy with the result but also blamed Ndazi for Hwange’s two free-kicks converted by Sibelo and Mungadze.

“I am happy for the boys who showed a lot of fighting spirit to come back from 3-1 down but I feel the two free kicks given to Hwange were too soft but I can’t ask for anything more from the boys after the huge fight,” said Chaminuka.


Hwange: T Mawaya T Sibelo(P Dube 61st min) M Mungadze G Ndlovu D Boriwondo A Tshuma N Siwela(T Chese 80th min) I Muchenekwa E Rusike A Marime(F Vimisai 57th min) G Zulu

ZPC Kariba: W Muchenje S Sheshe(T Ranthokoane 66th min) D Phiri G Magariro D Dauda T Magorimbo P Tafirenyika T Munyanduri A Nyamiwa(T Nyamandwe 60th min) R Manuvire R Madamombe(C Muchaya 82th min) G Magariro.

Source : The Herald