Home » General » DISMISSALS OF TOP EXECUTIVES AT ZIMBABWE’S STATE-OWNED MOBILE OPERATOR NOT DONE PROPERLY

HARARE-- The sacking of nine senior executives from State-owned mobile network operator NetOne was not done within the provisions of proper corporate governance, says Zimbabwe's Information Communication Technology (ICT) and Cyber Security Minister Supa Mandiwanzira.

"I was not aware of the shake-up. I checked with the board, they were not aware of anything and had not been consulted on any shake-up," the Minister said here Monday.

But the board told me that what had happened on Friday was that nine top managers had just been given letters and told not to report back to work and this included the chief operating officer (COO), chief financial officer (CFO) and of course, the board was very concerned that such an action would lead to the instability of the institution.

I then understand that the board took over the matter. The board then got to me and said the action that had been taken by the chief executive officer was not done within the provisions of proper corporate governance."

NetOne chief executive Lazarus Muchenje last Friday dismissed nine executives, including the COO and CFO and announced interim replacements.

Mandiwanzira said the board also felt that the timing of the dismissals was bad. Given what was going to happen on Monday, Election Day, they felt that the integrity of the institution could be undermined and NetOne could fail to perform its duties particularly on a critical moment of our country where all Zimbabweans were going out to the polls," he said.

They felt that the actions were unjustified and they decided that they would convene an urgent board meeting with the purpose of understanding what was going on and stamping their authority that their actions while maybe necessary, must have followed proper procedures."

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK

Archives