Home » Business » FARMERS IN ZINBABWE URGED TO REPLANT FOLLOWING RECENT RAIN

HARARE, The Zimbabwe Farmers Union (ZFU) has urged farmers to take advantage of the rains which have been falling across the country over the past few days to replant crops which did not germinate and those which wilted under the sweltering heat.

ZFU President Wonder Chabikwa said Wednesday that the torrential rains being received

were affecting farming operations in some parts of the country with heavy soils.

"As you know the rains came late in some areas so planting was delayed and the current wet spell is a welcome relief to most late planters. Those farmers with plants that did not germinate should replant during this wet spell," he added.

Chabikwa said while farmers welcomed the rains, planting in some areas had been affected.

"Areas most affected are tobacco growing areas that include parts of Zvimba and Hurungwe in Mashonaland West (Province) and Macheke in Mashonaland East (Province) where heavy soils are found," he said.

He said 70 per cent of farmers had planted crops while the remaining 30 per cent had not, as they waited for the rains. Chibakwa urged farmers who had not planted to plant early maturing varieties in case the rains persisted.

Source: NEW ZIANA

Subcribe to my feed Follow on Twitter Like On Facebook Pinterest

Calendar

January 2018
M T W T F S S
« Dec    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

Business News

Our Facebook Page

Zimbabwe Online News is an interactive website which compiles all form of news and press releases for the visitors.

Read More!

Zimbabwe Online News Copyright © 2017