Home » Sports » Relegation-Bound Teams Share Spoils

Flame Lily forward Moses Demera scored a second half brace to help his team come back from a two-goal deficit and snatch a valuable point at home against fellow Premier League debutants Tsholotsho FC at Larfarge yesterday.

It was a match that marked the battle to avoid the dreaded chop as the second half of the season kicked off with the hosts occupying 13th position on the log table while Ziqholo Ze Zwane are on 14th place.

Tsholotsho, who were parading veterans Joel Luphahla and Danisa Phiri in their starting lineup, took the lead late in the first half through Simbarashe Gorogodyo to take a slender lead into the half-time break.

The visitors extended their lead six minutes after the breather through exciting striker Lynnoth Chikuhwa before Demera struck twice in a space of nine minutes to hand Flame Lily a share of the spoils.

Frustratingly, it was Flame Lily coach Backlyfield Chivenga’s fifth draw in five games since he took over from Nesbert Saruchera a couple of months ago, but he remains defiant.

“It’s never easy to win a premier league game but this was a good comeback and I am happy with what my boys managed to do,” he said.

“Our position on the log is a bit of a bother and the starting point is now. Five games, five draws, we are on the right path but what we need to do is find a formula that can get us to start winning matches,” he added.

Ziqholo Ze Zwane coach Lizwe Sweswe felt his team had missed a great opportunity to take maximum points back to Bulawayo.

“We just gave away three points. We should have collected three points but sometimes it’s just [lack of] maturity. We were well prepared for them and we came here for three points, but unfortunately we got one, but it’s still okay,” said Sweswe.

The first half was rather dull as both teams failed to create clear cut chances, with the home team dominating possession but the visitors scored first against the run of play.

A searching ball from midfield picked out Gorogodyo late in the first half, who coolly slotted past Prosper Chigumba who had been a mere spectator before then.

Six minutes after the restart, Chikuhwa beat the offside trap as he dinked the ball over an advancing Chigumba to extend Tshlotsho’s lead.

Demera pulled one back in the 63rd minute after Tsholotsho goalkeeper Mariyon Chang brought down Motion Mponda who had broken loose.

With 18 minutes to full time, Demera completed his double when his effort bounced off the keeper and trickled into the empty net to save the match for Flame Lily

Subcribe to my feed Follow on Twitter Like On Facebook Pinterest


February 2018
« Jan    

Business News

Our Facebook Page